An Authorization Only (Auth Only) transaction allows you to reserve an amount on a card, which you can settle at a later date.
For example, hotels may perform an Auth Only approval for a greater amount than the cost of a room. This amount is reserved on the card, but not charged. This means that the customer can add additional service costs to their bill that they can settle when they check out. On the VX520 you settle an Auth Only transaction by running a Ticket Only transaction.
Note: Processors may charge a higher rate for Auth Only or Ticket Only transactions.
To process an Auth Only transaction:
- From the SoftPay home screen, press the leftmost purple key once to access the second menu screen.
- Press F3 (Auth Only).
- Use the keypad to type the amount to authorize, then press Enter.
- To confirm the authorization amount, press F1 (Yes).
- Swipe, dip, or tap the payment card on the terminal, or use the keypad to type the card number then press Enter.
- Note: If the customer swipes their card, the terminal does not prompt for an expiration date.
- Select the card type for the authorization:
- F1 (credit)
- Use the keypad to type the expiration date.
- Press Enter.
- If you manually enter the information, the terminal may ask if the card is present. If the card is not present, press F2 (No) and follow the prompts on the terminal.
- F3 (EBT)
- F1 (credit)
- To print a copy of the receipt for the customer, press F1 (Yes).
Did you find it helpful? Yes NoSend feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.