To set up your Genius device, you need to:
- Attach the cables to your Genius device
- Set the IP address for your Genius device
- Set up your POS with your Genius device
Attach the cables to your Genius device
To set up your Genius device, you need to attach the following:
- 12V power adapter
- Network cable
Attach the 12V power adapter to the communications module
The 12V power adapter connects your Genius device to a power source. To attach the 12V power adapter to the communications module:
- Make sure that the communications module is firmly in place on your Genius device.
- Insert the 12V power adapter into the +12VDC port on the communications module.
- Plug the 12V power adapter into a power socket. Your Genius device should turn on.
- If your Genius device does not turn on, contact our Genius Support Team.
Attach the network cable to the communications module
The network cable connects your Genius device to your router, so that your Genius device can connect to the Internet and to your POS. To attach the network cable to the communications module:
- Insert one end of the cable into an available port on your router or switch.
- Attaching the network cable to your router
- Insert the other end of the cable into an available Ethernet port on the communications module.
- Attaching the network cable to the communications module
Set the IP address for your Genius device
You can set either a Dynamic IP address or a Static IP address on your Genius device:
- Dynamic IP – When you use a dynamic IP address, a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server automatically assigns an IP address to the devices connected to your network. If the network is disconnected or if the DHCP server is rebooted, the server automatically reassigns the IP addresses, which means the IP address of your Genius device can change.
- If the IP address of your Genius device changes, your POS can no longer communicate with your Genius device. You need to update your POS with the new IP address.
- Static IP – When you use a static IP address, you manually assign an IP address to each device connected to your network.
By default, your Genius device uses a dynamic IP address, this means you need only to configure your POS to target your Genius device’s IP address. However, you can configure a static IP address on your Genius device instead of using a dynamic IP address.
Program your POS to work with your Genius device
Ask your POS provider to program your POS to work your Genius device. To set up your Genius device, your POS provider needs the following information:
- Your MerchantWARE credentials, including your:
- MerchantWARE name
- Site ID
- Authentication key
- The IP address or host name of your Genius device
Did you find it helpful?Send feedback